Pages

October 1, 2009

HOLY CRAP!

So I just took a look at the date stamp on my last post and it tells me that it's been almost 2 months since last I posted anything.

Despicable.

Given that I'm back in school, and there lots going on in my life (my gal and I just bought a house!) I can come up with lots of excuses. In the end though, 2 months without posting kinda sucks, and I'm going to make an effort to keep on top of it for the rest of this semester. Look forward to at least 1 post a week!


Anyways, the reason I actually came on today was to post a couple pieces that I just completed for a gentleman named X. Xruns a not for profit organization called Y and a little over a year ago I hooked up with him to make a monthly comic. I handle the art and he does the rest. Last week he contacted me looking for a couple illustrations, and I just managed to finish them.























X's request was for an Uncle Sam style pic of himself, and then a pic of him in a suit. I'm pretty happy with the sketch of Uncle X. The inking, however, doesn't appeal to me all that much. I may have to go back in to rework the shadows, specifically on his face.

The suit pic was a bit trickier as I wasn't entirely sure what X was after to begin with. Once I had the first image done I sent it to him and he came back asking for some feet. Since I had pretty much filled the page when I drew the original I had to add the lower body digitally. Then I took some time to throw some quick tones in, and voila! I'll admit I'm tempted to go back into it and give it some gradation in the values... some softer shadows and highlights say, but I like the clean look it has at the moment, so I'm going to leave it for now. Maybe I'll break go back into it later ;)


That's it for now, later folks!


-Dave

1 comment:

  1. Well its nice to see a new post! Exciting! I do have some comments on the figure that I think need work particularly in his anatomy;
    -On the full figure image with the guy in the suit his body is too skinny for his broad shoulders.
    -His feet, as he's walking feel awkward, it could be that his knee on the left is too low.
    -The position of his head feels off. Its leaning too much to left, and if it is because you meant for his head to be turned slightly that direction it doesn't feel that way. It's awkward. I think it needs to be shifted more to the right, at least centered to his body where his spine is located.
    -Lastly, I think his left arm is way too stiff. It feels as though he doesn't have an elbow there.

    I am a fan of the illustration treated as an Uncle Sam poster.

    ReplyDelete