Pages

March 22, 2013

11x17/3


Trying to push myself in a couple different directions lately, so I spent some time tonight working on this. Last year I added 5.5x17 (11x17 cut down the middle) prints to my table priced at $10 a pop, and found that they sold very well. So this year I'm considering 5.66x11 (11x17 cut in horizontal thirds) as the final price point for my table, giving me $5 prints, $10 prints, and then my usual $15 prints (full 11x17). I'm not sure if it's really something people are after, but I think it'd be worth testing out to see if there's much interest. I had a lot of fun working with the 11x17/2 pieces as I was able to put together a set of rules to govern what kind of illustration I would allow (the black background painterly character studies). It helped to get me working out of my comfort zone and lead in a direction I'm really happy with. As such I'm going to be doing something similar with these new pieces. The 11x17/3 will all be landscape format illustrations where the environments play a major role. Right now I'm just sketching out random ideas, collecting them and then I'll see what's worth developing later on so these are just the tip of the iceberg. However, I've found that I'm censoring my posts quite a bit lately (deciding that what I've been doing isn't interesting enough/cool enough/new enough), so I wanted to try to pry myself open again and just post about the things I've been working on. Clearly this Spider-man piece is far from finished, but it took me a while to get the perspective and then figure out that I couldn't make every building rectangular in shape, so this is what I've got.

Unfortunately this experiment likely won't be live for the Calgary Expo as I've got a ton of other work that I'd like to prep for that, but Edmonton Expo was where I tested the last additions I made to my table and so I'm pleased enough to keep that symmetry going.


Below is a really quick sketch that I did based off of a photo I found in my reference archive. Sadly I can't be more specific than that as I have no idea where it came from, but it got me throwing color around and for me that was enough.



Thanks for stopping by, and feel free to make a request, it's always fun to see what you guys can come up with.

No comments:

Post a Comment