Pages

March 16, 2013

A Week at Once


Whew! Been pounding away at a few different pieces this week, but the vast majority of my time has been spent trying to wrap up Superman, which is nearing completion. Right now I'd like to spend a bit of time tweaking the boot, and then I think it'll finally be done. I've also rebuilt the Trinity piece, taking it from a mock up to proper size and then going through and inking it. Currently I feel like it's falling apart on me, but I've got a few ideas on how to get it back where I want it. Hopefully I'll turn it around in the next couple of days.

I noticed a bit of tunnel vision occurring over the last week, with hours disappearing into Trinity and little else being accomplished, so I pulled up Batman and started cleaning it up and rebuilding it as well. I'm going to try to limit my time on it as I feel like I'm getting lost in some of these paintings and I can't afford to devote such a huge amount of time to individual pieces if I want to get everything done for the expo. Not to say I'm unhappy with the work I've been doing, I'm actually quite pleased with my progress as an artist lately, and very happy to have another way of working to rely on. I find digital painting to be a really satisfying way to work, and it's quickly becoming my preferred method. As such I tried taking a more painterly approach with TMNT keeping things pretty loose and spontaneous while using what I've been learning to try to kick it up a notch. I didn't make it past Leo, but it definitely changed the feel of the piece.

Finally, I've been working on a side project with Mr. Markin, and part of the project requires some character design. I'm not too worried yet about final designs, so what I've produced is the equivalent of quick scribbles in a note book. Just enough info to carry the idea that I had while working on it, but little to no iteration, and so nothing I would consider finished. I'm looking forward to revealing the nature of the project, but unfortunately I doubt I'll be able to get there before the expo. Too many things on the go, and for now expo prep has to take priority...


Thanks for stopping by!



3 comments:

  1. You're in overdrive! Really liking the anatomical variation in the turtles, and Wonderwoman is looking appropriately strong AND sexy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I's still loving your superman! Also your turtle one is looking good. I really like the blue dude! (is that leo???)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks guys! Appreciate the kind words about the turtles and WW Dan, you've pretty much picked out my main goals for each piece. The turtles are tough though, cuz Leo (blue!) and Raph are my favs but tend to look the same whenever I draw them, meanwhile Don and Mikey are the ones I can easily reshape but I usually push them into the background. Might need to come up with a new comp so that I can properly showcase each one.

    Also, glad you liked Superman! Not gonna lie, I'm a little bit proud of how that turned out.

    ReplyDelete