Pages

September 11, 2013

Where Have You Been?

Man oh man has it ever been a long time!

Gonna dive in with some art updates, and then we'll see where we go from there.


Coulson and Fury were commissions that I picked up at the Calgary Expo. They were a ton of fun to do, and I'm really happy that someone wanted them enough to get me to do them. When I first developed my run of Avengers pics back in 2012 I had intended to create something like this as part of the set. Then time got away from me and I had to prioritize, it seemed like the capital "H" heroes should come first and once the con was over it didn't really seem worthwhile to spend the time. Soon after I moved into a more painterly style (the Black Background series) and have been pretty focused on pushing that forward as best I can. So I'd just like to take a moment to say thank you to Daz for commissioning me to complete the set. It was a bit of a struggle to return to the old ways, but I'm really happy to have them sitting in my portfolio along side the rest of the team.



I guess it's not surprising, but I get a fair amount of requests for Deadpool, so I thought I'd take a bit of time this month to see if I could work up a composition that was worth bringing to my table at Edmonton. I'm quite happy with the idea here (though there's still work to be done) and I'm hoping you guys will like it once I'm done with it. As for Black Cat, my 2011 print of her is still my best selling piece, so I thought I'd see if I can recapture that magic with something a little more challenging. It's in a really rough state right now, but again, pretty happy with the base. Then there's Nightcrawler. I have a folder full of ideas for Black Background paintings, and this has been sitting in there for close to a year now. I was really happy with the rough sketch, but when I tried to add some color it fell apart on me, so I left it alone for a few months. Now, I'm a little more experienced, and I think I understand where it was going wrong. I've still got some experimenting to go, but it's got a cool vibe, and doesn't look like every other BB that I've done (which is something that's becoming a problem... that skinny frame really restricts composition options).


Last, but not least, Wolverine. Or Weapon X as he is here. This is actually my most recent WIP, and the one I've put the most time into. I'm really pleased with the progress that I've made so far, and am looking forward to the reactions at Ed Expo. Gonna be a few more nights until it's done, but I've been making solid progress on it every day for a while now, and I have yet to hit a wall (knock on wood). Assuming I can keep that up I should have it wrapped by the end of the week.

Next up, sketches!

No comments:

Post a Comment